Monday, October 24, 2011

I Can See Clearly Now, the Food Is Gone

After our lesson with Karen on Sunday, we removed food from the heeling exercise. Now I can really see what Dreamer is made of. I'm not surprised to report that her willingness to work is still there. I'm cheating a little bit, though. After a few turns, halts, and maybe a change of pace, I tend to slip Dreamer a reward. My plan is to give her less and less of the food before our next lesson. As much as I trust Karen, I just don't think it's fair to suddenly halt all food. Maybe I'm just prolonging the inevitable low morale that comes with withdrawal of the food, but I don't think so. I figure we've taken it slow as molasses with baby steps this long. Why stop now with a big Hail Mary?

Dreamer and I are working on the broad jump and various pieces of Open and Utility. Thank goodness because I would die of boredom if heeling was all we had to look forward to. Last week, Karen said she wants me to start practicing dumbbell holds with Dreamer on recalls as well as the high jump! Dreamer is becoming very good with the holds but isn't at the retrieving step yet. She doesn't even pick it up off the ground yet. We haven't learned that piece of the puzzle. I like how we're learning, though, and I trust that all the steps are coming at the right time. I hope to post videos and/or photos soon of the things we're learning. I think you'll find them interesting. Until then, happy training!

1 comment:

  1. Yes for videos!! I will post Seeker's runs at agility if you post your obedience training.

    Yes for tweaking Karen's methods! I agree with you that Dreamer needs the intermittent food rewards. You can have her ready by the time she has her next lesson.

    Hooray for our hardworking Tacara girls and their trainers!

    ReplyDelete