Monday, June 8, 2009

Close Call!

We were training if front of our house on the road. I didn't want to roam too far since there was a tornado watch. Remy was heeling well, spurred on by duck and potato treats, when I saw my neighbor out for a jog with his two German Shorthaired Pointers. So I quickly put Remy on a sit stay and he did well until they got very close and then he broke and I couldn't step on his leash fast enough. To make it worse, a huge truck was coming down the road! Well luckily, the truck stopped (we don't live on a busy road) and waited while I got Remy under control. Looks like I can no longer trust him unless he is on a long line or a leash. I'm bummed. What happened in class the other night has really set him back and it will probably take a lot of time to get him to have a reliable sit stay again. Good thing he is doing so well heeling so I have something to really praise him for. Oh, and he is making great gains on the sit in front off the longer recall.
We'll get past this problem by taking baby steps once again. So, one step forward and one step back. Isn't training fun?

1 comment:

  1. Whew. That was a close call! So glad Remy is okay. Unfortunately, you have to test the waters to see how deep they really are. You'll take another step forward again before you know it.

    ReplyDelete