Well, I had trained so hard for class and I was really hoping to show off! He actually did very well inside on the mats; in fact the instructor started laughing and then had me heel Remy down the center of the mat. She then called for a slow pace and everyone watched as Remy's tail wag also slowed down in rhythm with his steps! He is such a clown:)
Then she decided to take us outside in the parking lot and do drills like you do on horseback where everyone lines up and stays in order according to the commands. Well, it was really cool, but Remy so lost his head being that close to other dogs. At first he was fine, but the longer we did it, he just couldn't contain himself. So I took him out of line and had him do sits and downs and that calmed him down. He was a bit better when we got back in line, so I was happy. We then did formal sits and downs and I had left my longline in the building, so I just went to the end of my 6 foot lead and darn if he didn't break his sit stay when one of the dogs got up! That was so disappointing because I had worked so hard with him this week. Rome wasn't built in a day (or even a week). I'm glad you reminded me of that because it made me feel a little bit better.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, rats! You know, sometimes they bring their A game...and other times, they clown around. There is no better distraction than class, and at least you took him and tested the waters on new things. Rome wasn't built in a day, it's true, but you put a lot of time into him...and I'm sure it shows. Try not to get too down about him having an off day. It happens.
ReplyDeleteThanks. You are so positive! My instructor said not to worry. She is sure that his hormones are kicking in big time. I told her that I wondered about my choice in trying to train a male when all my real success in the past was with my females. She said it is hard, but we'll get through it. She just loves Remy...makes me (sob) proud (sob)!
ReplyDeleteDreamer was acting strange at her last obedience lesson, and my instructor said she was either going into heat or was going through another fear period. My instructor has Irish Setters and said they get weird about a month before they go into season. I guess both of our babies are being hormonal! And both of our instructors love our Tacara babies! YAY!
ReplyDelete